Reporting Leave

Reporting leave

Reporting Leave


  • Regular attendance and punctuality are an essential part of each position. Use your leave responsibly. Follow your department’s policy on requesting leave and reporting absences. Any leave should be requested as far in advance as possible in My Leave (or, if applicable, by completing a State of Colorado Leave/Absence Request Authorization Form). Your supervisor will determine the type of leave to be used. Unauthorized use of any leave may result in the denial of paid leave and/or corrective or disciplinary action.

  • Each supervisor is responsible for maintaining accurate and complete vacation and sick leave records for all faculty and staff within their department. Departments must use My Leave unless an alternate timekeeping system has been authorized by the Director of Human Resources Operations.

Time records, i.e., hours actually worked, must be maintained for a period of at least three years, and are maintained by individual departments. Federal law and campus policy require all work units to maintain records that accurately reflect the daily and workweek hours actually worked, rounded to the nearest quarter hour, for all employees who are "non-exempt" under the Fair Labor Standards Act. There are a number of methods by which this record-keeping requirement can be met, for example; time clocks or manual records maintained by the supervisor are acceptable. The format may also vary to suit the needs of the particular work unit. Departments are cautioned that failure to maintain required records may subject them to liability in the event of a dispute.

Recording Usage: Departments are required to use the My Leave system unless approved for exemption. In the case of exemption, leave usage (vacation and sick leave) is entered in HCM (PeopleSoft) Time Collection for hours used during the prior month by the Department Payroll Liaison. Usage can be recorded using the quarter hour calculation to be consistent with recording work and overtime hours. For example, if an employee is on vacation or sick leave from 2:00 p.m. until 3:08 p.m. you will round to the closest quarter hour and report 1.25 hours of usage. If an employee is on vacation or sick leave from 2:00 p.m. until 3:07 p.m., you will round to the closest quarter hour and report 1.00 hours of usage. Use this calculation when updating an employee’s work record, vacation, and sick leave balances (off-line – departmental manual records; on-line – HCM data entry). 

Recording Adjustments: The My Leave system is the official record unless your department is granted an exemption. In this case, departmental manual leave balance records are considered the official record of an employees leave balance and departments should reconcile their paper records to the HCM system on a periodic basis. If at any time leave balances shown in the HCM system appear to be incorrect, they may be corrected through Time Collection. The department is responsible for making leave balance adjustments in HCM using earnings code VAA for vacation balance adjustments, and SCA for sick hours balance adjustments. These adjustments can be entered in time collection as positive or negative, depending upon whether the system balances should be increased or decreased. 


Campus Closure
Should the campus be closed by the Chancellor or designee due to weather or other emergency event, administrative leave for Classified and University Staff. Please use the following link to learn about specific circumstances.