EMPLOYMENT ELIGIBILITY (I-9/E-VERIFY)
In accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 ("IRCA"), the University of Colorado Colorado Springs must verify employment eligibility of each employee within the first three days of employment.
As required by federal law the university is required to complete and retain a Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification document for all regular and temporary employees hired after November 6, 1986.
Completion of Form I-9 is a shared responsibility of both the employee and the university.
- Section #1 must be completed by the employee on or before the first day of employment. This process is completed using an electronic form through our partner, HireRight.
- Section #2 must be completed by an I-9 partner, or authorized university representative, within the first three days of employment. The employee should provide acceptable documents to complete the I-9.
- Form I-9 can be completed as soon as, but not before, a job offer has been extended and accepted.
In order to complete Form I-9 employees are required to present original documentation confirming identity and eligibility to work in the United States. The List of Acceptable Documents is the last page of Form I-9. Employees who are unable to meet federal I-9 requirements cannot lawfully be employed.
Completing Section #1 of the Form I-9
- Section #1 invitations should be received via email from HireRight after a job candidate has signed a letter of offer. If you did not receive an invitation from HireRight, please check your junk or SPAM folder. If it is not there, contact email@example.com.
- International hires do not need have the SSN to complete Section #1 of the I-9 at this time. Please advise the individual to check the box verifying that they do not have social security number.
Completing Section #2 of the Form I-9
- To complete Section #2, employees must present original documents in person to the HR office or authorized representative.
- International hires do not need have the SSN to complete Section 1 of the I-9 at this time. Please advise the individual to check the box verifying that they do not have social security number.
- In order to have access to the CU computer systems, this step must be completed. It may take up to 3 business days after section 2 is completed to gain access to the CU computer systems.
UCCS HR Office
1831 Austin Bluffs Parkway
Colorado Springs, CO 80918
Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Departments with employees who are working out of the area or out of state should contact UCCS HR Office about options for completing the I-9. All federal timelines still apply.
UCCS I-9 Process
The University of Colorado Colorado Springs uses HireRight for processing electronic Form I-9 and E-Verify for all new employees.
HireRight’s I-9 Solution satisfies U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requirements related to the electronic creation, signature, retention and security of the Form I-9.
E-Verify is an Internet-based system that compares information from an employee's Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, to data from U.S. Department of Homeland Security and Social Security Administration records to confirm employment eligibility.