Employee Separation Resources

Employee Separation Resources

Resources for Employee Separation

Important considerations and resources for departments in completing the separation process.

Employee Separation Ticket
Entering a Separation into HCM
IT Account Termination and Electronic Access

Involuntary Separation

To effectively process a termination for cause (involuntary separation), there must be coordination among the department supervisor/department administrator/appointing authority, the campus human resources office, the department HCM Community member and Employee Services. For information regarding termination for cause procedures, please visit the Employee Services link to the right.

Time Frame for Final Pay if Termination for Cause (Involuntary Separation)

University of Colorado employees who are terminated for cause are entitled to receive their final payment as quickly as business allows. For employees who live and work in other states, those state regulations must be reviewed to determine proper final payment rules for terminations. Meeting this requirement involves effective and timely coordination, and sufficient advance notice to Employee Services.

Processing may be delayed if HCM is not available.

Separation due to Death

Notifying Employee Services 

When an employee dies (or retiree, if known), the deceased's current/former campus department, family member(s) or legal representative(s) should immediately contact Employee Services and UCCS Human Resources office. Immediate notification is essential to avoid incorrect payments and tax-reporting problems.

Family member(s) or legal representative(s) must provide Employee Services three items as soon as possible:

  • a copy of the notarized death certificate
  • legal documentation with the name and address of the executor of the estate
  • W-9

All applicable insurance information must be completed by the appropriate legal representative. Employee Services benefit counselors will help the department, family or legal representative(s) with these insurance forms.

Click here for more information on Policies and Procedures.

Records Request

In the event of a records request for a deceased employee, please consult APS 2022 in relation to the Colorado Open Records Act (CORA).